That being said, I had fun making my own birthday "cake" satisfying the peanut butter and chocolate craving I've been having while ensuring to keep the "cake" gluten and grain-free as well as sugar-free. Don't let that scare you off! It is possible to accomplish that and still have the finished product taste good and have people fighting for seconds! Try this cheesecake recipe out for yourself and let me know how loved the cheesecake was by those who guiltlessly indulged!
Chocolate Almond Butter Cheesecake
Serving size: 8 large or 16 small pieces
- 3 TBSP organic butter
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (cocoa powder would work but cacao is healthier)
- 3 TBSP xylitol (powder in food processor for finer grain texture)
- 1 Large egg, lightly beaten (grass-fed, free range eggs are healthiest!)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chop in food processor)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz. organic cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup cream (I used raw, grass fed cream; if you can't get that, organic whipping cream will work or whip up the cream on the top of a refrigerated can of coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup xylitol (powder in food processor for finer grain texture)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of green stevia leaf powder (optional for increased sweetness)
- 5 TBSP organic butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 TBSP xylitol (powder in food processor for finer grain texture)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/8 tsp green stevia leaf powder
- 1 TBSP extra virgin coconut oil
- Prepare 8.5-9" spring form pan by greasing bottom and sides thinly with extra virgin coconut oil or grapeseed oil to help keep crust from sticking. Set aside.
- Crust: Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in cacao and xylitol then slowly whisk in beaten egg. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens (1 min or less). Remove from heat. Stir in almond flour, walnuts, and vanilla. Press crust evenly into bottom and sides of pan and freeze for about 20 minutes (can refrigerate instead if waiting for an hour or more for next step).
- Filling: Beat cream cheese and almond butter together until smooth. Beat in cream. Beat in xylitol and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add stevia powder, if using. Spread filling over crust and smooth top. Refrigerate or freeze until firm (at least 2 hours in fridge).
- Chocolate Topping: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter, unsweetened chocolate, xylitol, and stevia powder together. Add vanilla and cacao powder and stir until smooth. If too thick, add coconut oil mixing until melted. Spread over filling and refrigerate again until firm (30min - 1 hour).