Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lighting it Up Blue for Autism Awareness

As I mentioned in my previous post about Autism Awareness Month, World Autism Awareness Day is April 2.  April 1st and 2nd are set apart to kick off Autism Awareness Month of April.  A group of children recorded a song to help encourage people to "light it up blue" to help spread the word.  It was put into a great video that I was so encouraged and touched by.  Watch it here:

We lit our house up blue to honor Joshua and spread the word around.  We've decided to keep our lights blue for the whole month of April in honor of the Autism Awareness theme.  Here are a couple of pictures that we took to show how we lit it up blue.
Front porch (picture taken by Tim)

I decided to get creative and experiment with a puzzle piece which is a symbol for autism.  My husband was so patient with me and held that puzzle piece through so many shots.

Our light out back.  By this time, Tim's arm was cramping from holding the puzzle piece, and my hands were cramping from holding the camera! :-)
 Also, along with the idea of lighting it up blue, people are encouraged to wear blue on April 1st and 2nd.  Our whole family participated (including my mom and sister).  On Saturday (April 2), we went to a Reading Royals Ice Hockey game sporting our blue clothing.  Here are pictures of us:


1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I plan to make that my status but was gonna give it a day or two space from the Birthday festivities. I am proud of you and all you have to do to fight for Josh in his environment. You and Tim do an wonderful job working together to support each other in the challenge and opportunity God has given you in Josh's Aspergers. Way to go and be not weary in well doing!

    ReplyDelete