Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A love like no other

As I reflect on what love is as I scurry around to make Valentine's Day special for my family, I have reflected once again at how our love pales in light of God's love!

I pulled out a poem I had written several years back that was published back in 2000.  I wrote the first stanza years before I met Tim and the second stanza right before I really got to know Tim really well as a friend.  I can truly say now that words mean a lot about my love for him and my thankfulness for his love for me.

                        A Shared Love
My love for you is like a blooming rose.
Each moment spent with you makes it unclose
Every petal one by one
As they reach up to the sun
To thank the Lord above
For giving you to me, my Love.

The love that you have bestowed upon me
Is cherished in my heart forever to be.
A better friend none could ever have,
For you guided me along my life's paths.
May you be truly blessed from above
For freely give to me your love.

        © 2000, 1997. Christine Benedict Russell

Yet, I am amazed at how lacking our love as humans really is.  God's love is perfect.  It is infinite.  It is unselfish.  It is unwavering.  A love between a husband and a wife is only a frail picture of the love of Christ for His bride the church.  How great is our God!  How great is our Father's love for us that He would send His only Son to take our place on the cross and die for our sins so that we can spend eternity with Him!  I am so thankful for His never-ending, always, and forever love!

"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
(Romans 8:38-39 ESV)

"In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him."
(1 John 4:9 ESV)

"In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him."
(1 John 4:9 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment